SDES School History

In 1950, the old metal Sandcreek School was built on the same site as the school today because it was halfway between the towns of Westport and Letts. Sandcreek School opened with twelve grades, but it became strictly an elementary school with the opening of South Decatur High School in 1968.

The school's gym, which is still used by South Decatur Elementary, was built during the 1955-56 school year. In 1963, students from Millhousen were enrolled at Sandcreek. Jackson students began attending Sandcreek in the fall of 1971.

The new South Decatur Elementary School was opened in April 1978. At first it included only students from the Sandcreek School, but in the fall of 1978, the children from Burney School were also included in the enrollment. At the same time kindergarten classes were added to the school program. The new school was formally dedicated on December 17, 1978.

A major remodeling project begin in 1992 included four new rooms, restrooms, new heating and a cooling system. A computer network was installed to improve the use of technology. Classrooms were enclosed to provide a quieter learning environment.
 
  • Location